Everyone has heard the adage “eat a healthy diet high in fruits and vegetables to lose weight.” But are all fruits created equal when it comes to losing weight? As it turns out, there are specific things we should be looking for.
As a rule, those looking to lose weight should aim for fruits high in fiber with a high water content and lower sugar (carbohydrate) content in order to aid digestion, feel full, and still keep overall calories under control.
Here are six top choices when picking fruit for weight loss
1. Berries – Their dark color is indicative of their rich polyphenol content and high levels of antioxidants. In fact, they contain anthocyanins, which have been shown to enhance insulin efficiency and improve carbohydrate metabolism. Berries have also been shown to inhibit formation of fat cells and even decrease existing fat levels!
2. Cherries – Powerful antioxidants, cherries are also rich in phytonutrients and high in vitamin E. They have been shown to have significant benefits on sleep, which is vital for overall health. Lack of sleep has been linked to weight gain.
3. Kiwi – Low in calories and high in water content, the kiwi fruit also contains serotonin, which aids in sleep. Kiwi also contains a prebiotic, which aids in the development of healthy bacteria in the digestive tract. This assists in digestion and elimination which, in turn, helps in weight loss and overall health.
4. Grapefruit – High in vitamin C and fiber, grapefruit has been associated with reduced blood pressure and a significant reduction in cortisol, the stress hormone that is a major contributing factor in weight gain.
5. Apples – Containing a whopping 10 grams of soluble fiber, apples are digested slowly and this aids in carbohydrate management.
6. Watermelon – This water-filled fruit, while high in sugar, has been shown to contain phytochemicals that lower fat accumulation in the body.
Even when we keep smart fruit choices in mind, the old adage holds true: A diet high in healthy fruits and vegetables which is low in fatty and processed foods will give us the best chance of maintaining a healthy weight. We hope that this lits of diet fruits will help you to get your desired weight.